Psychological Support Manual for Foreign Students to Cope with the Novel Coronavirus
Dear foreign students,
The Chinese New Year of 2020 saw an outbreak of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus. At present, the prevention and control work across China is being carried out in an orderly manner under the strong leadership of the Chinese government.
Facing the epidemic, the Department of International Education provides you with the following psychological support manual, hoping everyone to take good care of our mental health while protecting yourslef from the disease.
一、How to reduce the risk of infection?
1. Maintain normal diet and rest, nutrition balance, and drink more water.
2. Appropriate physical exercise.
3. To develop good hygiene habits, maintain indoor ventilation, to keep warm.
4. Do a good job in self-protection, learn self-test, and inform the teacher in time when finding physical discomfort.
5. Regular work and rest, do not stay up late.
6. Keep away from the source of infection and cut off the route of transmission (such as washing hands, wearing masks, reducing travel, etc.)
二、How to take care of our mental health
1. Reduce the frequency of attention on the epidemic, and reduce the psychological burden caused by too much information.
2. Make the most of our vacation time to plan and do it accordingly.
3. Use positive self-talk, exercise and positive thinking to deal with negative emotions.
三、How to adjust ourselves in case of being in an epidemic area or being quarantined?
1. Make a regular daily schedule of work hours, including rest periods, entertainment periods, sports periods, taking meals, and so on.
2. Get in touch with our classmates, teachers and friends when we are free by internet, telling them about our current situation.
3. We can become a helper, find ways to help others, and realize our own ability and strength in a way that ensures our safety.
四、What should I do if my family or friends are quarantined?
1. Empathy: listen to their negative emotions or feelings over the phone, encourage them, and make them feel being companioned, supported, and understood.
2. Share: talk about our recent feelings in order to connect emotionally with them, rather than complain about ourselves.
五、What should I do if my family member or I have symptoms that appear to be "novel coronavirus pneumonia"?
1. If fever occurs with body temperature less than 37.3° C, and no previous exposure to the epidemic, self-isolation and observation may be conducted first, and treatment to symptoms should follow.
2. If symptoms such as fever over 37.3°C , dry cough, and fatigue occur with previous exposure to the epidemic, please be sure to wear a mask, protect ourselves, seek immediate medical advice to the nearest fever clinic and avoid taking public transport.
3. Timely contact our teachers to report the situation.
4. In the process of doing these things, self-management is important, remember to stay calm.
六、What should be done if I/my family/those around me have been exposed to those who are infected "novel coronavirus pneumonia"?
1. If we have been exposed to the infected, we need to cooperate well with disease control departments to conduct stay-home self-isolation and medical observation for 14 days.
2. If our family members or people around us have been in contact with the infected, ask them to maintain personal and family hygiene, wear masks, and wash hands carefully and conduct serious disinfection.
3. Timely contact teachers to report the situation.
In the face of the current epidemic situation, first of all, we should obey the arrangement of the academy; then, do a good job of self isolation and protection; finally, spare effort to care about the people around us. Let's unite and believe that the situation will improve soon! We firmly believe that with your support and help, we will be able to win the battle of epidemic prevention and control!
The Department of International Education